Frequently asked questions

What is Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance?

Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance is insurance designed to cover a person who rents a car against having to pay an “excess” in the event of the hire car being stolen or damaged.

What is an excess?

In the case of your hire vehicle being stolen or damaged in an accident, the person who has rented the vehicle will be required to pay the first part of the loss, known as the “excess” usually between £700 and £2500.

Can I purchase Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance from my car hire company?

You very often can. Vehicle Hire Excess insurance is usually offered as an option that vehicle hire companies will add on to your bill at a premium rate. An alternative is to purchase your Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance separately from Us, you could save ££££s on your bill, you will also benefit from our excellent levels of cover that includes parts of the vehicle typically excluded from a standard car rental company Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance policy.

What is CDW?

CDW stands for Collision Damage Waiver. When you rent a Car, Van, Mini-Bus or Motor Home your vehicle rental agreement will usually include insurance such as Collision Damage Waiver, also referred to as CDW or sometimes Loss Damage Waiver, LDW or 3rd Party Liability Insurance.

Is there a minimum or maximum age to purchase Vehicle Hire Excess Insurance?

The minimum age for both products is 21. The maximum age for the Car Hire Excess Insurance product is 84.

What do I do if I need to change anything on my policy?

Give our UK-based call centre a ring on 0333 300 2160 (Monday to Friday 8am -7pm, Saturdays 9am to 5pm) or email us at and one of our friendly staff will be happy to help you.